Friday, March 4, 2011

Chocolate-Cherry Oatmeal Cookies


Something different, right? Right. Like I've mentioned before I've been trying to use up all of my baking goodies before I hit the road back home for this dreaded deployment that is very rapidly approaching. Due to OPSEC I'm not at liberty to disclose just how close, but trust me, it's too close for comfort. Now, with that said, I've been trying to not be a big bawl-baby and suck it up to not further stress out my husband. So far, so good except I did get a bit teary last night when he came home and disclosed a leaving time-line which would only change the date by a few days, but hey, a few days is a few days, right? Anyways, I've been trying to ease up a bit on the whole health nut thing towards the end of him being home. I mean hey, if we want to eat Goldfish during the entire episode of Jersey Shore together, who is going to stop us? That's right, I didn't think there would be any takers! Now, I will admit that while we were home during block leave I went a good four whole days with no gym or working out! When I got back to the gym yesterday it felt so good, but boy do my legs feel sore today. Anyways, I started last night's baking adventure with our new favorite chocolate chip cookies I've been so excited about. My husband had three spoonfuls of dough and 6 full-sized cookies, complete with a glass of milk of course. Now, I have no idea how he managed to keep all those cookies down but he was more than happy to bag the rest up and share with friends he was helping move. I started thinking about my cousin who yells at me when a day or two goes by and blog is left with nothing new for one reason or another. Come to think about it, I don't even think she's a registered follower.. which means, COUSIN, yeah YOU, if you want these sweet blogs to keep a'commin' you better become a follower missy! With that said, I looked through my cabinets to see what I had that I could use to make something new with. Ah, a package of Craisin...cherries? So, my husband and I were a little confused. Are they Craisins or are they Cherries? They tasted like cherries to me! The first batch of these I literally used an ice cream scoop and tried to make a giant cookie. Well, I had a few that weren't quite as big and so they cooked through and the others ones didn't. Normally with any other cookie I'd serve those ones to my husband, but he was full off of the CCC's from earlier, and well, wasn't even home at this point. So, my second batch turned out, more of your typical cookie size, and definitely done throughout the entire cookie.

So, here is it. The recipe I totally just threw together and crossed my fingers. I tried one, I just don't like cherries, the cookie was really good, but I was forcing myself to swallow the cherry filled bites whole. Now, for those of you who do like cherries, I have a feeling you'd love these!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp.)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup quick oats
1/3 bag bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
3/4 pkg. Craisin Cherries (they were the Ocean Spray kind)

Directions:
Cream together sugars and butter. Add egg and vanilla. Whisk dry ingredients together except oats, chocolate, and cherries. Slowly combine flour mixture to sugar mixture. Once well combined, stir in oats, chocolate chips, and cherries until evenly distributed through out the dough. Drop with cookie dropper and bake at 350F for 6-8 minutes or until edges are crisp and middle is not doughy. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheet and then remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment