Sunday, March 25, 2012

Smashed Potatoes



Mmmmmm. Well while I've quite enjoyed eating whatever I please the first two weeks of my husband being home, I figure it's about time to hop back on the 'watch what you eat' thing again. I made these twice, I figured they were so good the first time it was worth making them again while my in-laws were in town. What could be better than potatoes? Mashed.. er.. smashed potatoes. My staple food as a child, my ridiculously chubby cheeks didn't thank me later in life but hey, you've got to indulge from time to time, right? Right.

Pretty much I went about making these like I do any other type of mashed potato, but I went ahead and left the skins on. Surprisingly growing up I was quite fond of the skin on my potatoes and can't believe I hadn't left the skins on for mashed potatoes before the ripe age of.. dun dun dun.. 22. So, I saved myself the agonizing task of peeling potatoes and I left those suckers on. Take that you darn potato peel... TAKE THAT!

So, I'm not going to lie, I can't really remember how many potatoes I used and I NEVER measure out my milk. I will however let you know that the secret to amazing mashed-smashed potatoes in my family is butter. Lots of butter. I believe an entire stick went into this delicious bowl of starchy goodness. I will add that my legs are screaming 'nooooo' everytime I put shorts on so, we'll blame the potatoes. Darn them.

Anyways, to sum it up, I used white potatoes, 2% milk, unsalted sweat cream butter (yeah, that's right butter, an entire stick to be exact, and don't go telling me how Paula Dean ended up with diabetes after using all THAT butter on her famous cooking shows and such. Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the insane amount of Lawry's Garlic Salt (course ground with Parsley) my all-time favorite container of seasoning. Mm-hmmm. And if you haven't caught on by now, it's pretty much assumed you put in black pepper, because well, who doesn't love black pepper.. in... every.thing.you.cook. Yes. Black pepper, garlic salt, potatoes, milk, and buttttttttttter.

No comments:

Post a Comment