Thursday, July 29, 2010

Grandma's White Bread

My grandma is famous for shoving your pockets full of candy while trying to exit her house. My brother and I on the other hand are famous for immediately looking for what's good laying out to eat while visiting there. While he typically went for the full sized candy bars, and I, the delicious mint taffy candies, we both counldn't help but to slice up her homemade bread! Afterall, who doesn't love homemade bread?! A few days before moving states away, I made sure to jot her bread recipe down. In fact, it was the first thing I baked in my new kitchen. A few minor mistakes were made, but hey, trial and error people, trail and error.

Photobucket

Ingredients:
1 c. milk (warm)
1 c. water (warm)
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 tbl. sugar
3 tbl. butter
1 tsp. salt
5-6 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
Warm milk and water, combine. (They should be warm to your finger but not boiling.) Add butter, yeast, sugar, and salt to warm liquid. Add 2 cups of flour, beat well. Add remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead on lightly floured surface for at least 5 minutes. Grease bowl and top of dough with butter. Place the dough back into the greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise until double in bulk. Grease two loaf pans with butter. Make into 2 loaves and put into pans. Allow the dough to rise again until double. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.

Not sure if your bread is done or not? My first mistake was assuming that since I had baked the bread for the exact amount of time I was told and the bread looked nice and done, that the middle would be too. Boy, was I wrong! Flip the bread over and insert a meat thermometer into the middle of the bread. White bread should read 200F when baked properly. If it isn't 200F quite yet, placing it back in the oven for a few minutes should do the trick.

I butter the tops of my loaves once they come out of the oven, remove from pan, and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment