Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ooey Gooey Chocolate Butter Cookies


Well, I have to confess that my husband's absence has certainly left my blogger babies in high anticipation for my newest post, am I right? Well, I'll have you know that I've become somewhat infamous for making these cookies. I typically send my husband to work with a baggie or two of these, with complaints later from people who didn't get to even try one. Now, this batch wasn't for my husband, his friends, or even myself. They were specifically meant for a fellow Army wife, that I love dearly. Though, we ran into some complications, so, even though they were made, they didn't exactly make it to their final destination, her tummy, of course! Now, for all of you concerned that since I've only blogged baked goods since the husband has left, no worries, I have been eating real food as well. Can you picture it? Me laying in a cookie-muffin-brownie-coma? Ahh, it sounds amazing, but not exactly how the last week has played out. Now, for all of you wondering what this cookie may taste like, imagine a cookie that taste just like a brownie, but has the texture of really moist cake, but is actually a cookie. Are you drooling yet? I've made these with a variety of cake mixes such as French Vanilla, Moist Chocolate, Devil's Food. I shared the recipe with some fellow Army wives who I know tried Carrot Cake and Strawberry. For this batch, I used the Devil's Food cake mix because they turn out the most moist. I have got to visit my husband twice in the past week where I was informed by him and a friend that they basically eat two meals at every chow time. Now, I felt like I had been tricked into feeling bad, bringing them fried chicken and brownies. Then my husband reminded me, 'here it's about quantity, not quality'. Aww.

And for all of my blogger babies that were worried about my cinnamon fist pumping tactics, no worries, I've found some liquid cinnamon potpourri that I'm hoping works just as well!

Ingredients:
1 box cake mix (your choice on flavor)
1 pkg. cream cheese (room temp.)
1 stick butter (room temp.)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar (for rolling and dusting)

Directions:
Mix together cream cheese and butter with mixer. Add 1 egg, mix well. Add vanilla, mix well. Lastly, add cake mix until combines well. Cover mixing bowl with lid or plate and place in the fridge for at least one hour. Once dough is chilled, scoop with cookie dropper and then roll into hands to form ball. Roll the ball into powdered sugar. Bake for 8-9 minutes at 350F. Remove, allow to cool on pan for a few minutes to set, then move to cooling rack to completely cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while on the rack. These cookies keep great with a slice of bread of two thrown in the container!

I got this recipe off of Paula Dean's website, but I've added an extra 1/2 tsp. of vanilla and don't bake them for as long.

1 comment: