Thursday, August 26, 2010

Banana & Raisin Oat Bars


Alright, so I figured there had to be something to do with the two frozen over riped bananas I had sitting in the freezer for the last couple of days. I know, there is always Banana Bread, but I was looking for something a little better for you. I know, shocking right? After my posts of fried onions, patty melts, and cookies, I thought maybe I should mix it up a bit and add a few.. healthier items. Plus, this recipe calls for cinnamon, and let me tell you, I love cinnamon. I remember my aunt owning a house over in Benson through out my childhood. Her neighbors were notorious, and I do mean notorious for having their home smell so strongly of cinnamon you could smell it outside. I'll never forget when they sent my cousin over to borrow a bag of ice from them. He comes trotting in with this bag of ice that you'd think had been laced with cinnamon goodness, but no, just the mere scent of their home. I wish my house smelled like that. Mmm.

Now, since my dad always yelled at my for having the scented plug in air fresheners, claiming that they put awful chemicals in the air and also that those chemicals just sit in your lungs until you die. Okay, he never said the last part, but the first portion of that sentence was true. Maybe a cheaper way to go about the whole 'make my home smell like cinnamon' plan should be to run around the house fist pumping (as seen on MTV's Jersey Shore, of course) with a bottle of cinnamon spice in my hand. No? Well, it's the thought that counts. For any of you who might not know what fist pumping is... I strongly recommend you get out more. Or, stay in and watch The Situation get his GTL on in the MIA. (If you're over 30 you probably have no idea what that means, and I apologize.)

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 c. old fashion oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 over ripe banana
1/3 raisins

Directions:
Mash banana, mix in cinnamon and egg whites. Fold in oats and raisins. Spread evenly into an 8 in. greased baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment