Monday, August 2, 2010

Chili

I'm wondering, is it possible for dog and man to sync their snores? I swear last night as soon as my husband's snore would stop, our dog in the corner of the room would let hers out. It was like a damn teeter-totter of snores! Have you ever tried falling asleep with one continuous snore? I mean, it just would not stop. This was of course after my dad called and woke me up. Our families don't seem to remember the one hour time difference most nights, and well, as I'm A-OK with staying up late enough so that family can call when it's still 9:00 their time, that means it's 10:00 our time and well, that's just a little too late for my husband to keep his eyes open. I haven't quite decided if it's because his eyes are so tired from staring at video games for hours on end, or if he just really enjoys getting a full 12 hours of sleep a night. Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating a bit there, but hey, being able to exercise my sense of humor on here as done wonders for my mood!

Oh, and as if I couldn't forget, my random 3:30ish random number phone call. I mean, who calls someone on accident at 3:30 AM!? Luckily it didn't take me too long after that to fall back asleep. Long enough to lie there and think about what should be on today's menu of course.

If you're at all familiar with Georgia weather, especially this time of year, you're probably wondering why in any right state of mind would I make chili for dinner. With the heat index, it normally hits 114F in a heart beat around here. Well, a simple solution to cooking anything you want during the blistering hot summer is to keep your house at a cool 68F.

Alright, alright, I understand that isn't exactly an option for most people. Though, that is one perk to living on post. My husband wanted chili last week, but I had been out of ground beef for a little while with no grocery run in sight, I pushed chili off the menu, yeah, until last night. I typically enjoy chili if I have some Frito scoops to accompany it with. After arguing back and forth all day over who was going to go buy them, and even trying to threaten not making it at all, I of course, caved.

This was my first experience using a chili kit. My friend back home uses this same kit so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The chili (based off my mom's chili) that I normally make isn't quite as thick as the kit turned out, but it didn't have any tomatoes in it, so my husband was pleased.


Though the kit only called for you to add the ground beef, I added one small diced onion, can of dark red kidney beans, and a large can of chili beans, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, yum. I thought it was actually one of the better pots of chili I've made since I've been down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment