Friday, August 13, 2010

Birthday Cake


This was originally supposed to be a Red Velvet cake... I had never had it before but my friend wanted me make it for our husbands battle buddy whose birthday is tomorrow. Once our husbands got wind of it not being chocolate or vanilla they threw little soldier temper tantrums... of sorts and I caved, decided maybe the more traditional cake was the way to go. I opted for a semi easy way out... I used vanilla and chocolate cake mixes and layered four layers, starting with vanilla on the bottom and ending with chocolate on the top. I did still go ahead and make a home made cream cheese frosting, which I had never done before, but I was pleased with the outcome. I want my bloggers to know that I'm fighting my unconscious husband (he's only sleeping, people) for space on the bed, listening to my dog snore in the corner, and my husbands cat is making some God awful growls, followed by hissing noises at our poor kitten. She was out of the house for 24-hours being spayed, and boy is my husband's cat pissed she came back! I'd like to think of myself as a crab fisherman. They never give up, even when a huge storm is about to throw them into the crab infested waters. So, I my friends, will not stop blogging. I shall blog on. Through the snores, the howls, and the elbows. All, for the love of blog.

Ingredients: (for the frosting)
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp.)
1 lb. cream cheese (room temp.)
1 tbl. vanilla extract
5 c. confectioner's sugar




Directions:
Beat the butter and cream cheese together until completely blended and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix well. Slowly add the sugar until fully blended and sweet to taste.

2 comments:

  1. HHG, you HAVE to try red velvet cake!!! It's my dad's absolute favorite cake and now I make it for him every year on his birthday.

    Next year (March) I will use this recipe for the frosting. I much prefer homemade, but was overwhelmed by all the results that showed up when I searched for a recipe. This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a huge hit, so I think the frosting is a must! =)

    ReplyDelete