Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Steak & Potatoes


If you've signed on to read my blog day after day, I commend you. My husband has finally figured out he's in fact, the butt of each of my jokes. I mean, it's all in good nature, right? One of my followers, or, biters as I call them, suggested that I make Meat Loaf for dinner last night. Then, of course, my husband had his little heart set on meat loaf, but I shot him down. I mean, I do make a really good meat loaf and my husband does in fact love it, but, I really had my heart set on kabobs. Well, you know that the one time I really want something, I wouldn't have the skewers for it. Come on, who doesn't keep their house stocked with over-sized tooth picks.. of sorts. Well, apparently this gal doesn't.

I was even willing to drive to the commissary to pick a few up. Wouldn't you know the commissary on post is closed on Mondays? Well, with the steak already thawing in the sink I figured I better put it to good use. This resulted in steak and potatoes for dinner. Not just potatoes though. Oh no, they were grilled to tender perfection with whole cloves of fresh garlic, large slices of white onion, and carrots! Now, I normally make these for only potatoes and onions, but I've got some fresh garlic and carrots that are in need of being used before they go bad. Who doesn't like carrots anyway?

I've had these foil pouched potatoes since I was younger. I remember my brother coming up with the idea when we had a tiny little charcoal grill in my mom's driveway. I also remember my brothers potatoes always being very crispy and a lot of it burning and sticking to the foil when it was all said and done. Well, not to brag or anything, but I've basically perfected the foil potatoes. Hey, if that sounds like boasting, take it for what it's worth people, take it for what it's worth. I did give him credit for the idea after all, right?

My trick? I take a mixing spatula and spread a thin layer of butter across the foil before placing the potatoes on it. Wha-la, and that my friends, was how the perfectly cooked foiled potatoes were created.

I seasoned the streaks with ground black pepper, garlic salt, and (steak & chops) seasoning grinder that my dad got for me before I moved down here. Mmm.

Ingredients:
2 steaks (your choice on cut)
2 potatoes
1 onion
6 cloves of garlic
3 carrot sticks
butter
ground black pepper
garlic salt

You'll also need foil... and a grill, just in case you haven't quite caught on yet.

Directions:
I'm not going to explain how to season and grill the steaks because, I'm hoping you already know that part. As far as the potatoes go, scrub clean and slice into 1/4 in. slices. Place on buttered surface of square of foil. Make sure your foil is large enough to place your food on and wrap up with no food being exposed. I double wrapped mine to prevent burning, which worked quite well, but it was a pain to check the tenderness of the potatoes.





Place 1 sliced potato, one sliced onion (slice into larger pieces so they don't burn) , cut up carrots, and 3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole onto the foil. Top with 2 tbl. of butter, ground black pepper, and garlic salt. Wrap up, place on the grill over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes total, turning every couple of minutes. The foil was just sitting over an open flame people, so, for the love of blog, please be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment