Monday, August 9, 2010

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


I made a batch of these cookies a few months ago, a week later, most of them were being thrown away. They were okay, not the best cookie ever though. I got this recipe today, but decided to change it just a tad. You see, I like chocolate, I mean, I am a girl after all. I do not, however, like tons of chocolate chips in my cookies. In fact, there used to be this cookie shop by my aunt's restaurant that always has, and in my eyes always will have the best cookies, ever. I think it was the texture that I loved most. Either way, they closed shop a couple of years ago, but before they did, my dad was able to convince them to make me a batch of chocolate chip cookies, hold the chocolate chips. Although that sounds boring, they were the most amazing thing ever.

I couldn't decide if I should go for the standard chip cookies or opt for a more, textured approach. I think I made the right decision. You know how cookies taste one way right out of the oven and then a completely different way once they've completely cooled? These were amazing at both points, but even better cooled, which most of the time doesn't happen for me. I mean, is there anything better than ooey gooey chocolate-oatmeal-cookie goodness in your mouth? I mean sure, your wedding day, the birth of your first born, because let's be honest, it's just not quite as exciting the second time around, right?

The same could be said about cookies. The excitement of pulling the first batch out of the oven immediately once the timer begins to beep. Then the second batch goes in, eh, you're not so inclined to stay in the kitchen for that whole eight minutes. By the third batch, boy oh boy, are you ready to be done baking or what? So, today's conclusion is that baking cookies is much like child birth. Well, I can only go by what I've seen and heard, but for now, I think I'll stick with cookies!

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 c. unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (milk chocolate)


Directions:
Mix dry ingredients together, set aside. Blend together sugars and butter. Add vanilla and eggs, beat well again. Mix in dry ingredients. Last, fold in the chocolate chips and oatmeal.


Using a cookie scooper, drop cookies onto non-stick cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet before moving them to a cooling rack. And that's the way the cookie crumbles. It had to be said, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment